Monday, June 13, 2011

The 'spirit' of classic comic book plots - Media Review No. 5

The Spirit is a classic comic book with one of the best typical plot lines - good guy falls in love with bad girl, but they are torn apart by their place in society. It's a typical action/romance, one that was made even better by including the classic "Spirit" hero.

The only problem that I had with this comic was the childish drawing style. It was a major put-off for me, because its hard to take the story seriously when all the characters looked like bad cartoons. The dialogue itself was above the drawing style, which made it hard to follow along the story. When you saw the drawings, you'd assume that it'd be dumbed down and easier to understand, because it seemed to be drawn for children; but it turns out it wasn't. I had a hard time getting into reading this story because it wasn't as fun to read as it appeared it would be, and it was only until I was sitting at home and focussing solely on the story could I get myself to read it.

By the time the end came along, I came to appreciate the classic plotline and drama of this comic. Cartoon-y drawing style aside, it's still a classic, and I suggest anyone who appreciates a good comic should take the time to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment